A. Read the story again and fill in the table with the present condition of the characters given below.
Ms. English : Covered with ink and greese spots, two corners chewed away.
Mr. School Bag : Broken straps, buckdes dragging behind, crammed with books
The young Master Notebook : The young Master Notebook
Mr. Pencil Box : Never cleaned, chewed by Mahesh, pock-marked body.
Mr. Geography : No cover, contents page hanging on its threads, maps filled with all colours in the paint box.
B. Answer the questions.
1. Why was Mahesh brought to court?
Mahesh did not take care of his books, school bag, pencil
box, pencils and notebooks. He handled them badly. So he was brought to court.
2. Was Mahesh punished for the ill treatment of his belongings? Why?
No, Mahesh was not punished for the ill-treatment of his
belongings. At the request of Ms. English Mahesh was given a second chance to mend
3. Why did the fellow brothers of Mr. Geography laugh at him?
Mr. Geography had no cover. The 'contents' page was hanging
on its last threads. So the fellow brothers of Mr. Geography laughed at him.
4. What made Justice Mathematics turn red with anger?
The Master Notebook complained that Mahesh threw him against
the wall angrily. On hearing this Justice Mathematics turned red with anger.
5. How was the court different from other courts?
In that court the punishment was decided by the victims.
If the verdicts were more than one the final judgement was decided by majority.
6. Why did they decide to forgive him? Who initiated the suggestion?
They decided to forgive him because Mahesh should be given
a second chance. Ms. English initiated the suggestion.
7. Was it real or a dream? How could you say?
It was a dream. The mother of Mahesh roused him from sleep
saying that he would be late to school.
C. Read the lines and answer the questions.
1. You have to undo what you have done. Do you understand?"
a. Who said these words to whom?
Justice Mathematics said these words to Mahesh.
b. What was he asked to undo?
Mahesh had ruined the looks of Ms. English. So he was asked
to undo it by setting it right.
2. I especially envy my brother who belongs to Shobitha.
a. Who is envy of whom?
His brother who belonged to Shobitha is the envy of Mr.Geography.
b. Why does he envy his brother?
Shobitha covered Mr. Geography’s brother neatly. She handled
him gently and he looked as new as he was bought just then. So Mr. Geography envied
3. “I don't mean to interrupt, Your Honour, it is just that I feel that everyone deserves a second chance and, after all, this is Mahesh's first offence, he deserves a little consideration."
a. What do these lines tell about the speaker?
These lines tell us that the speaker is gentle, sympathetic
b. Who does the word ’ refer to?
'I' refers to Ms. English.
D. Think and Answer
1. If you were Ms. nglish, would you do the same? Why or Why not? Justify your answer.
If I were Ms. English I would be as liberal as Ms. English. I won't insist on punishing Mahesh because he is still a school boy. It is natural for him to do such things but I will ask him to mend his ways. I would urge him to set things right by providing cover to all books. I would make him pledge that he would look after his books with care thereafter.
E. Work in Groups.
1. Prepare a chart with dos and don’ts of books and class work maintenance. Use your creativity in presenting your ideas. Use short sentences and phrases.