![if !IE]> <![endif]>
NUTRITION AND HEALTH
I. Choose the correct answer:
1. The nutrient required in trace amounts to accomplish various body functions is ――― .
[Answer: (c) Vitamin]
2. The physician who discovered that scurvy can be cured by ingestion of citrus fruits is ――― .
(a) James Lind
(b) Louis Pasteur
(c) Charles Darwin
(d) Isaac Newton
[Answer: (a) James Lind]
3. The sprouting of onion and potatoes can be delayed by the process of ――― .
[Answer: (b) Irradiation]
4. Food and Adulteration Act was enforced by Government of India in the year ―――.
[Answer: (b) 1954]
5. An internal factor responsible for spoilage of food is ―――.
(a) wax coating
(b) contaminated utensils
(c) moisture content in food
(d) synthetic preservatives
[Answer: (c) moisture content in food]
II. Fill in the blanks :
1. Deficiency diseases can be prevented by taking balanced diet.
2. The process of affecting the natural composition and the quality of food substance is known as adulteration.
3. Vitamin D is called as sunshine vitamin as it can be synthesised by the body from the rays of sunlight.
4. Dehydration is based on the principle of removal of water .
5. Food should not be purchased beyond the date of expiry .
6. AGMARK is used to certify agricultural and Livestock products in India.
III. State whether true or false. If false, correct the statement.
1. Iron is required for the proper functioning of thyroid gland.
Correct statement : Iodine is required for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland.
2. Vitamins are required in large quantities for normal functioning of the body.
Correct statement : Vitamins are required in minute quantities for normal functioning of the body.
3. Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin.
4. Lack of adequate fats in diet may result in low body weight.
5. ISI mark is mandatory to certify agricultural products.
Correct statement: ISI mark is mandatory to certify Industrial products.
IV. Match the following :
Column A Column B
1. Calcium - a. Muscular fatigue
2. Sodium - b. Anaemia
3. Potassium - c. Osteoporosis
4. Iron - d. Goitre
5. Iodine - e. Muscular cramps
Answer: 1 - c, 2 - e, 3 - a, 4 - b, 5 - d
Column A - Column B
1. Calcium - Osteoporosis
2. Sodium - Muscular cramps
3. Potassium - Muscular fatigue
4. Iron - - Anaemia
5. Iodine - Goitre
V. Fill in the blanks with suitable answers :
VI. Give abbreviations for the following :
(i) Indian Standards Institution.
(ii) Fruit Process Order.
(iii) Agricultural Marking.
(iv) Food Corporation of India.
(v) Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
VII. Assertion and reason type questions :
Direction : In the following question, a statement of a Assertion is given and a corresponding
Reason is given just below it. Of the statements given below, mark the correct answer as:
(a) If both Assertion and Reason are true and the Reason is the correct explanation of Assertion
(b) If both Assertion and Reason are true but Reason is not the correct explanation of Assertion
(c) If Assertion is true but Reason is false
(d) If both Assertion and Reason is false
1. Assertion : Haemoglobin contains iron.
Reason : Iron deficiency leads to anaemia.
[Answer: (b) Both Assertion and Reason are true but Reason is not the correct explanation of Assertion)
2. Assertion : AGMARK is a quality control agency.
Reason : ISI is a symbol of quality.
[Answer: (d) Both Assertion and Reason is false]
VIII. Give reasons for the following statements :
a. Salt is added as a preservative in pickles ―――
b. We should not eat food items beyond the expiry date ―――
c. Deficiency of calcium in diet leads to poor skeletal growth ―――
(a) Because it removes the moisture content in the food by osmosis.
(b) Because it will get spoilt and can cause diseases.
(c) Because calcium is a constituent of bones.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.