· Protects public by determining competence of and registering doctors
· To be registered must have: acceptable degree, competent in English, no convictions with a possible prison term > 3 months, be mentally and physically fit and not subject to disciplinary proceedings
· Types of registration include: probationary, general, vocational
· Council can review or monitor competence or „fitness to practice‟
· Also has disciplinary process
· Council consists of 4 doctors elected by doctors, 4 people appointed by the Minister, 1 Ministry of Health and 1 Med School Dean.