Admission of a patient means allowing and facilitating a patient to stay in the hospital unit or ward for observation, investigation, and treatment of the disease he or she is suffering from.
1. Purpose of admission procedure
ü To provide immediate care.
ü To provide comfort and safety to the patient.
ü To receive the patient in ward for admission according to his condition.
ü To be ready for any emergency.
ü To assist the patient is adjusting
ü to the hospital environment.
ü To obtain information about the client so as to establish therapeutic nurse patient relationship.
ü To involve patient and family in care.
ü To assist proper discharge planning of care.
· Routine Admission: clients are admitted for investigations and planned treatments and for surgeries. eg. diabetes, hypertension.
· Emergency Admission: Patients are admitted for acute, an emergency condition which requires immediate treatment like burns, drowning, road accidents, fall, heart attack.
1. Gather patient information (name, age, sex, address, mobile no etc)
2. Prepare medical record
3. Prepare patient identification bracelet
4. Consent form signed
5. Initial orders obtained
6. Inform to floor ward nurse
· Prepare a clean and neat admission room with all the necessary items as per the need of the patient.
· Prepare an appropriate type of bed with adequate adjusted height of the bed
· Welcome patient and his family with warm approach.
· Make the patient comfortable in bed and provide him with hospital clothes and ensure adequate privacy.
· Alleviate anxiety/fear
· Location of nurses station
· Room boudaries
· Clothes storage
· Call light
· Bed controls
· Light switches
· Telephone policy
· Tv controls
· Meal times
· Visitng hours
· Safety measures-side rails
· Time for doctors visit
· What tests are scheduled
· Medical Orders
· Lab Results
· Record all the basic information in patients record.
· Clearly mention admission date, time patients details, complaints of the clients, any allergies, patients mental status.
· Record in admission register, treatment book, report book, medical legal case (MLC) register, update ward census and nurse’s notes.
· Physical Assesment
· Patients Comfort
· Collect information for database
· Perform initial Admission Assessment
· Obtain physician order for the Lab, Tests, Medical activity
· Identify data
· Chief complaints
· Present history
· Past health history
· Review of body system
What to look for in newly admitted patients
· Increased privacy
· Loss of identity
Do a good assessment of his physical condition in order to plan his care. If his physical state needs immediate treatment report to physician and prepare your patient for physical examination and carry out the treatment, which the physician prescribes after the physical examination.