![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Food and Beverage Personnel
A person working in the food service industry must recognize the roles and duties because it helps to achieve the goals and aims of the establishment. The goals of most of the establishments are to satisfy customer needs and make profit.
1. Knowledge of food and beverage and technical ability of personnel: The staff must have sufficient knowledge of all the items on the menu in order to advise and offer suggestions to customers. In addi-tion, they must know how to serve cor-rectly each dish on the menu, what its accompaniments are, the correct cover, and the make-up of the dish and its garnish.
2. Healthy working relations: Healthy working relations build up over time, and depend largely on faith and trust between managers and employees.
Employees should be able to communi-cate their thoughts, feelings and ideas to managers without fear. Healthy relations develop only in an environment of give and take, and where ideas are generated. Organizations therefore need to redevelop this unity in their internal group culture in order to maximize outputs.
3. Customer-oriented: The views and demands of customers affect their choices and have a tremendous influence on the food service organizations. No matter how tasty the menu, customers would not come back if they have bad experiences with customer service. To determine customer wants and needs, a keen inter-est must be shown by the food service personnel. Added services intended to increase satisfaction eventually to ensure customer satisfaction. This phenol menon encourages the philosophies of continu-ous quality improvement and total quality management.
4. Manager: A catering manager takes care of all food and beverages at a facility’s event. It includes assisting with the menu, scheduling the staff, and meeting the customer’s needs.
Food service managers are the leaders in the kitchen and the front of house in restaurants. They are responsi-ble for overall operation of the restaurant.
Food service managers lead their team to make sure the food looks good and is cooked properly, the proportions are cor-rect, and it is cooked and served quickly by friendly and courteous staff and meets health standards. The manager should also have good communication skills, enthusi-asm, empathy, competence, ability to dele-gate tasks, cool under pressure, team-build-ing skills, problem solving skills, hardy attitude and vision.
5. Waiters: Waiters work with the cus-tomer needs.Waiters must have good knowledge of food and beverage and its appropriate service.They ensure that all guests are served in appropriate man-ner and also display highest standards of hospitality. Their main duty is to take orders, serve (where applicable, pre-pares) food and beverages to guests as per the hotels standards in a friendly, timely and efficient manner. Their role in performing the food service organiza-tions is extremely essential for successful functioning.
6. Chefs and cooks: Attitudes are more essential than skills as a good attitude will help him not only learn skills but also per-severe and overcome the many difficulties he will face. Some of the professional atti-tudes needed for the chef are optimistic approach toward the job, determination, capability to work with people enthusiasm to learn, know how, commitment quality, good perceptive of the basics, willing to work late hours, team spirit, obedience and interest to learn new things.
The cooks set up workstations with all needed ingredients and cooking equip-ment. They prepare ingredients for use in cooking (chopping, peeling, cutting). They should have a knowledge of various cooking methods. A cook should check the food while cooking and ensure great presentation by dressing them before they are served. Monitoring the stock and plac-ing the orders when there are shortages is also the duty of a cook.
The hospitality industry looks for people with good communication skills, positive attitude and managerial skills are essential qualities and therefore a person aspiring in this sector has to be one who imbibes these qualities so that they reach great heights in their career prospects.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.