![if !IE]> <![endif]>
I. Choose the correct answer:
1. India consists of____ States and _____ Union territories.
(b) 29, 7
Answer: (b) 29,7
2. India is known as a
(b) Sub continent
(d) None of these
Answer: (b) Sub continent
3. Mawsynram, the land of highest rainfall is located in
Answer: (d) Meghalaya
4. Which one of the following religion is not practised in India
Answer: (d) Confucianism
5. Recognised official languages of India, as per VIIIth Schedule of Indian Constitution
Answer: (c) 22
6. Onam festival celebrated in
(b) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (a) Kerala
7. Mohiniyattam is a classical dance of
(b) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (a) Kerala
8. ‘Discovery of India’ – a book was written by
(d) Jawaharlal Nehru
Answer: (d) Jawaharlal Nehru
9. The phrase ‘ Unity in Diversity’ was coined by
(a) Jawaharlal Nehru
(c) Mahathma Gandhi
Answer: (a) Jawaharlal Nehru
10. V.A. Smith called India as _________
(a) Great Democracy
(b) Unique land of diversities
(c) Ethnological museum
(d) Secular nation
Answer: (c) Ethnological museum
II. Fill in the blanks:
1. Geographical features and climatic conditions determine the economic activities of a region.
2. Jaisalmer, the land of lowest rainfall is located in Raiastan.
3. Tamil was declared as classical language in the year 2004.
4. Bihu festival is celebrated in Assam.
III. Match the following:
1. Negroids - Religion
2. Coastal areas - India
3. Zoroastrianism - Fishery
4. Unity in diversity - Indian race
1. Negroids - Indian race
2. Coastal areas - Fishery
3. Zoroastrianism - India
4. Unity in diversity - Religion
IV. Answer the following questions:
1. Define diversity.
• People speak different languages, eat different kinds of food, celebrate their own festivals and. practice a culture different from one another.
• These differences make us unique as Indians.
• We come from different backgrounds, belong to different cultures, worship in different ways, yet we live together. This is known as diversity.
2. What are the types of diversity?
India under the following broad headings:
land forms and lifestyles diversity, social diversity, religious diversity, linguistic diversity and cultural diversity.
3. Why is India called a sub continent?
A continent is a very large area of land with various
physical features such as mountains, plateaus, plains, rivers and seas and
various types of weather patterns. India has all of them. India is known as a
4. Write the names of three major festivals celebrated in India.
Festivals like Pongal, Bihu, Ramzan, Christmas, Buddha
Poornima, Mahavir Jayanthi, Guru Nanak Jayanthi are some of the festivals that
denote the cultural diversity of India.
5. List out some of the classical dances of India.
Bhangra, Bharathanathiyam, Kathakali, Kathak,
Kuchipudi, and so on
6. Why is India called the land of unity in diversity?
• India has a multi-cultural society.
• India evolved as a single nation through common beliefs, customs and cultural practices.
• The freedom struggle and the drafting of our Constitution stands as sample evidence to the spirit of unity of India.
V. Answer the following in detail:
1. Explain : Linguistic diversity and cultural diversity.
• According to census of India 2001, India has 122 major languages and 1599 other languages.
• Four major Indian language families are Indo-Aryan, Dravidian, Austroasiatic and Sino Tibetian.
• Tamil is the oldest Dravidian language.
• Because the British ruled over the entire country for over three hundred years before independence in 1947, the English language gained prominence in India.
• In due course, English has emerged as an important language and a medium of instruction in schools and colleges.
• It is widely used in official communication and daily life.
2. “India is a land of diversity, yet we are all united”. Discuss.
• India is a home to a civilisation that is 5,000 years old.
• Different groups of people from different parts of the world were attracted towards India over the years because of its wealth.
• Some came for trade with the local people and others were keen on invading its territory.
• So diverse races of people migrated into India by land and sea routes over time.
• Thus the Dravidians, Negroids, Aryans, Alpines and Mongoloids became part of the modem Indian race.
• Then, the people who migrated to India also moved to other parts of the country.
• This movement and migration of people is the reason for India’s rich diversity.
• India under the following broad headings: land forms and lifestyles diversity, social diversity, religious diversity, linguistic diversity and cultural diversity.
VI. Projects and Activities:
1. “The occupation of people depends on the landform of a place”. Give some examples.
2. Read about a state of your choice and make an album to show the culture and tradition of people who live in that state.
3. Collect the pictures to show the art and architecture of Tamil Nadu.
List out the various festivals celebrated in different states.
Andra Pradesh : Brahmotsavarn
Arunachal Pradesh : Losar
Assam : Bohang Bihu
Bihar : Chhath puja
Chattisgarh : Bastar Dussehra
Goa : Carnival
Gujarat : Janmashtami,Diwali
Haryana : Baisakhi
Tripura : Kharchi puja
Uttarakhand : Ganga Dusshera
Himachal Pradesh : Mahashivarathri
Jammu & Kashmir : Eid-ul-Fita
Jharkand : Holi
Karnataka : Ugadi
Kerala : Onam
Madhya Pradesh : Diwali
Maharastra : Ganesh Chaturthi
Manipur : Yaoshang
West Bengal : Durga puja
Meghalaya : Nongkerem Dance
Mizoram : Chapcharkut
Nagaland : Hornbill
Odisha : Raja Parba
Punjab : Lohri
Rajastan : Gangaur
Tamil Nadu : Pongal
Telangana : Bonalu
Uttar Pradesh : Navaratri
VIII. Life Skill:
Suggest measures to bring unity in your school.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.