![if !IE]> <![endif]>
· Blue gum tree.
· Ececalyptus globulus
· Eucalyptus globulus is a tree that grows well in the Nilgirisarea in South India.
· The bark of the tree is smooth, and leaves are long and curved.
· Eucalyptus oil is obtained from the leaves and young shoots.
o The oil is volatile, pale yellow or clear, with a distinc-tive fragrant odour and pungent, cooling taste.
o It contains about 38 to 65% of eucalyptol (cineole), a monoterpenoid substance, as well as alpha pinene, phellandrene eudesmol, and other terpenes.
· The oil is used in folk medicine for a variety of ailments (particularly those related to respiratory tract).
· Burning of mouth, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhoea.
· Bronchospasm, bronchorrhoea, tachypnoea, chemical pneumonitis, apnoea.
· Vertigo, slurred speech, delirium, ataxia, headache, drowsi-ness, coma. Sometimes convulsions occur. Pupils are often constricted. Mydriasis is encountered less commonly.
· Tachycardia, hypotension.
· There is odour of eucalyptus in the breath.
· Aspiration of the oil results in chemical pneumonitis, with fever, dyspnoea, cyanosis, rales, and rhonchi.
· Contact dermatitis and urticaria have been reported in sensi-tive persons after handling the foliage and other plant parts of Eucalyptus globulus.
· About 4 to 5 ml.
· However, survival has been reported with 20 to 30 ml in children, and 120 to 240 ml in adults.
· Symptomatic and supportive measures.
· Emesis is NOT recommended due to potential for aspiration, CNS depression, and seizures.
· Activated charcoal is beneficial.
· If the patient is coughing upon arrival at the hospital, aspi-ration may have already occurred. Monitor arterial blood gases in cases of severe aspiration pneumonitis to assure adequate ventilation. Obtain baseline chest x-ray and vital signs.
· Mechanical ventilation may be required in cases of severe respiratory depression or aspiration.
· Mannitol, peritoneal dialysis, and haemodialysis were successfully used in some cases of substantial ingestion.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.