E. Find me in the poem.
1. I can help you to cross the river - Bridge
2. I can border your garden - Hedge
3. I can alert you - Whistle
4. I can carry you - Cart
5. You can ride on me - Horse
6. You can climb on men - Hill
7. You can lay down on me - Meadows
8. You can play with me - Rain
APPRECIATING THE POEM
F. Work in pairs.
A simile is a figure of speech that directly compares two things. Similes explicitly use connecting words such as ‘like’ and ‘as’.
eg. ‘as cool as’; ‘like a child’.
1. Discuss with your partner and pick out the similes used in the poem. Which one do you like the most? Why?
Similes in the poem : like troops in a battle, as thick as driving rain, I like the simile 'like troops in a battle' because it shows the fast movement of the soldiers. It is comparable to the racing of the train.
2. Discuss with your partner and pick out the rhyming words from the poem.
Witches - ditches,
battle - cattle,
plain - rain,
road - load,
river – forever