Understanding the story:
1. She was given test after test in geography.
2. He was a round little man with a red face and a whole box of tools with dials and wires.
3. She had been hoping they would take the teacher away altogether.
4. They learned the same things, so they could help one another with the home work and talk about it.
5. The teachers didn’t live in the house. They had a special building and all the kids went there.
millions of books, yellow and crinkly, learning and spending, geography, test papers
attic, time, real book, same thing, person, schools, words, house
Tommy and Margie found something about the (i)_____ of the past. Tommy found a _____ which has been printed on paper. The book was old and the pages were ______ At present, the (iv) ______ were moving on a television screen. The television had over (v) ______. He had found the old book in the (vi) ______ of his house. While reading Tommy found that it was about the old schools. Margie hated school because she was having problems with learning (vii) ______. The mechanical teacher was black and large with a screen. Margie hated the slot where she had to insert her homework or ______. Margie did not understand how a (ix) ______ could be a teacher and how the students were taught the (x) ______.Then it was (xi) ______ school for Margie and Tommy. Margie went to the schoolroom in her (xii) ______, where the mechanical teacher stood. She was thinking about the old school and how much fun the children had, (xiii) ______ time together.
1. The old book was found by ____________________________________
2. Margie was surprised to see the old book because ___________________________
3. The mechanical teacher was giving Margie__________________________________ ____________
4. Margie had to study always at the same time every day, because her mother said little girls _________________________________________________________________________
5. The geography sector in mechanical teacher was _________________________________________________________________________
1. Describe Margie’s mechanical teacher and her classroom in your own words.
2. Why did Margie hate her school? What was she thinking about at the end of the story?
3. What was strange about the ‘book’? Why did Margie find it strange?