SPEED CONTROL OF DRIVES
· The electrical machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy and mechanical energy into electrical energy.
· Drive systems are mainly used in applications such as pumps, paper, textile mills and more…
· Industrial drive applications are generally classified into constant speed and variable speed drives.
· AC machines have been used in constant speed application, because conventional methods of their speed control have either been expensive or highly insufficient.
· But DC machines were preferred for variable speed drives. However, the main disadvantages of dc machines are,
· Higher cost
· Higher rotor inertia
· Maintenance problems
· EMI problems