![if !IE]> <![endif]>
The formal process of identifying and controlling the risks facing an organization is called risk management. It is the probability of an undesired event causing damage to an asset. There are three steps
Risk Identification: It is the process of examining and documenting the security posture of an organization’s information technology and the risk it faces.
Risk Assessment: It is the documentation of the results of risk identification.
Risk Control: It is the process of applying controls to reduce the risks to an organization’s data and information systems.
To keep up with the competition, organizations must design and create safe environments in which business process and procedures can function.
These environments must maintain Confidentiality & Privacy and assure the integrity of organizational data-objectives that are met through the application of the principles of risk management
2 Components of Risk Management
3 An Overview of Risk Management
Over 2,400 years ago by Chinese General Sun Tzu said
“1.If you know the enemy & know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.
ü If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.
ü If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle”
· Identify, Examine & Understand the information systems.
· To protect assets, you must understand what they are? How they add value to the organization, and to which vulnerabilities they are susceptible.
· The policies, Education and training programs, and technologies that protect information must be carefully maintained and administered to ensure that they are still effective.
Know the Enemy
ü Identifying, Examining & Understanding the threats facing the organization.
The Roles of the Communities of Interest
· It is the responsibility of each community of interest to manage the risks that organization encounters.
· Understand the threats and attacks that introduce risk into the organization.
· Take a leadership role in addressing risk.
Management & Users
· Management must ensure that sufficient resource are allocated to the information security & Information technology groups to meet the security needs of the organization.
· Users work with the systems and the data and are therefore well positioned to understand the value of the information assets.
ü Must build secure systems and operate them safely.
Three communities of interest are also responsible for the following
· Evaluating the risk controls.
· Determining which control options are cost effective.
· Acquiring or installing the needed controls.
· Overseeing that the controls remain effective.
1. Important Risk Factors of information Security are
ü Understand the threats and attacks that introduce risk into the organization.
ü Taking asset inventory.
ü Verify the threats and vulnerabilities that have been identified as dangerous to the asset inventory, as well as the current controls and mitigation strategies.
ü Review the cost effectiveness of various risk control measures.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.