* There are 28 state governments in our country. Every State has a government to run its own administration.
* The Constitution provides for the post of the Governor as the Head of a State in India.
* The Chief Minister plays an important role in making higher appointments of the State Government.
* The people who make the laws of a state government are called ‘members of the Legislative Assembly’ (MLA).
* The High court stands at the apex of the State Judiciary. As per the constitution there shall be a High Court in each state.
1. Constituency: the body of voters who elect a representative for their area தொகுதி
2. Jurisdiction: power or authority to interpret and apply the law அதிகார வரம்பு
3. Legislature: an organized body having the authority to make laws for a political unit
4. Promulgate: announce widely known பிரகடனம்
5. Prorogues: to suspend or end a legislative session தள்ளிவை
1. The Constitution of India, Government of India, Ministry of Law and Justice, 2011
2. Om Prakash Aggarawala, S.K. Aiyar Th e Constitution of India, Metropolitan Book Company Ltd., Delhi 1950
How the State Government Works
Through this activity students will explore the Indian Parliament Virtually
• Enter the following URL or scan the QR code to land in Lok Sabha offi cial website.Select “Members” tab to explore the sitting members of the parliament.
• Scroll the middle section of the page to know the cabinet members of diff erent departments that governs India
. • Hover the mouse over the “pie chart” to know the strength of the diff erent parties that constitutes the central government.
• Click “Virtual tour” from the lower section of the page and view the structure of the parliament.