I. Choose the Correct answer:
1. Who is the father of computer?
a. Martin Luther King
b. Graham Bell
c. Charlie Chaplin
d. Charles Babbage
Answer: (d) Charles Babbage
2. Which of the following is another form of computer?
Answer: (b) Mobile
3. When was the first computer introduced?
Answer: (c) 1946
4. Who is the computer’s first programmer?
a. Lady Wellington
b. Augusta ado Lovelace
c. Mary Curie
d. Mary Comb
Answer: (b) Augusta ado Lovelace
5. Pick out the odd one.
c. Flash card
Answer: (c) Flash card
II. Fill in the blanks:
1. Data is set of information.
2. World’s first general purpose computer is ENIAC
3. Information is a form of processed data.
4. Fifth generation computer has Artificial intelligence
5. Computer is the device that uses Index number.
III. State True or False:
1. Computer is an Electronic device. [True]
2. Sir Isaac Newton invented Computer. [False]
3. Computer can do calculations fast. [True]
IV. Match the following:
1. First generation Computer - Artificial Intelligence
2. Second generation Computer – Integrated Circuit
3.Third generation Computer - Vacuum tubes
4. Fourth generation Computer - Transistor
5. Fifth generation computer - Micro processor
First generation Computer - Vacuum Tubes
Second generation Computer – Transistor
Third generation Computer - Integrated Circuit
Fourth generation Computer - Micro Processor
Fifth generation Computer - Artificial Intelligence
V. Answer the following:
1. What is a Computer?
Computer is an electronic device that process the data and Information according to our needs.
We can save the data and convert it into information.
2. Who are the pioneers/ forerunners of computer?
Charles Babbage, Abacus are the pioneers/forerunners of computer.
3. Write a short note on Data.
Data is the information that has to be processed.
It cannot be used directly by us.
Generally, they are in the form of numbers, alphabet and images.
4. Name any four input devices.
The keyboard, mouse, mic and scanner are some of the input devices.
5. Differentiate Hardware and Software.
• Physical parts of the computer are called hardware.
• You can touch, see and feel hardware.
• Hardware is constructed using physical materials or components.
• Computer is hardware, which operates under the control of a software.
• If hardware is damaged, it is replaced with new one.
• A set of instructions given to the computer is called software.
• You cannot touch and feel software.
• Software is developed by writing instructions in programming language.
• The operations of computer are controlled through software.
• If software is damaged or corrupted, its backup copy can be reinstalled.
• Software is affected by computer viruses.
VI. Answer in detail:
1. Explain in detail the Applications of computer.
• There are many applications on computer.
• These application includeones that organize, file, and store very important information forlater use.
• Some Applications are give here
• Communication is a way to convey a message, an idea.
• Some main areas in this category are
• Computers have become an important part in hospitals, labs, and dispensaries.
• It is also used in scanning and diagnosing different diseases. ECG, EEG, ultrasounds and CT scans, etc. are also done by computerized machines.
• The computer helps in providing a lot of facilities in the education system.
• The computer provides a tool in the education system known as CBE (Computer Based Education).