PRESCRIPTION OF MEDICATION
The prescription is a written order by a physician to the pharmacist to prepare, dispense specific medication for a specific patient. A specific pattern should be followed in writing prescriptions in order to safe guard the patient. The following points should be remembered in writing a prescription.
· The writing should be legible. The name of the drugs to be in capital letters
· Indelible ink should be used for writing
· Abbreviations should be avoided.
· Generic names of the drug should be written below the brand names
· In writing quantities, decimals should be avoided
· Less than 1gm should be written as milligrams. Eg. 200mg and not 0.2g
· Blank spaces should be avoided between direction and the signature of the doctor.
Date, address of the prescriber-preferably, the orders should be in the letter pad., name, age ,sex of the patient, IP or OP number, superscription(Rx) drug name and strength, directions to the patient and signature of the prescriber.
1. Name: Mr. A
2. Date: 13.10.2018
3. Age: 70 years
4. Sex: Male
5. Address: Chennai
6. IP No: xxx
7. Diagnosis: Idiopathic parkinsonism
9. Tab. Levodopa 100mg
10. Tab. Carbidopa 25mg
Take 2 tablets by mouth 3 times daily with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Take with food.
11. Dr. yy
12. Assistant prof. Neurology
13. MMC, Chennai.
14. Phone no: xxx
15. Reg.no: yy