I. Choose the correct answer :
1. Number of valence electrons in carbon is
[Answer: (b) 4 ]
2. Sodium having atomic number 11, is ready to ――― electron / electrons to attain the nearest noble gas electronic configuration.
(a) gain one
(b) gain two
(c) lose one
(d) lose two
[Answer: (c) lose one]
3. The element that would form anion by gaining electrons in a chemical reaction is ――― .
[Answer: (c) fluorine]
4. Bond formed between a metal and non metal atom is usually ――― .
(a) ionic bond
(b) covalent bond
(c) co-ordinate bond
[Answer: (a) ionic bond]
5. ――― compounds have high melting and boiling points.
[Answer: (c) Ionic]
6. Covalent bond is formed by ――― .
(a) transfer of electrons
(b) sharing of electrons
(c) sharing a pair of electrons
[Answer: (b) sharing of electrons]
7. Oxidising agents are also called as ――― because they remove electrons form other substances.
(a) electron donors
(b) electron acceptors
[Answer: (b) electron acceptors]
8. Elements with stable electronic configurations have eight electrons in their valence shell. They are ――― .
(c) noble gases
(d) non metals
[Answer: (c) noble gases]