The minor disorders of pregnancy
These are conditions in pregnancy that are not threat to life but can distress the woman, making life miserable and undermine her health. Even if they can not endanger life, they should not be ignored or treated lightly. They can interfere with nutrition, sleep, outdoor recreation and normal household cores. These conditions should not be accepted as a normal associate of pregnancy but should be treated and alleviated. Minor disorder may escalate and become a serious complication of pregnancy.
The role of the midwife is to health educate the woman in order to tolerate the changes in pregnancy and her anxiety will be alleviated.
Causes can be due to hormonal, accommodation, metabolic and postural changes. Every system of the body changes and is affected by pregnancy.
This is a common problem during pregnancy, an average of 75% of women experience backache at one stage of their pregnancy. The pregnancy hormones soften the ligament and it may be partly due to posture by some women to balance the weight of the gravid uterus.
· Health educate on posture
· Good shoes (low heel)
· Adequate rest
· Sleep on flat surface or with board under the bed.
· Physiotherapy – Tailor sitting position can be help ful.
· Lying on one side away from the discomfort – affected leg
· uppermost in sciatic – like pain.
· Pillows to support the whole limb.
The actual cause of cramp in pregnancy is not known. It can be attributed to ischaemia or result from changes in pH or electrolyte status (– lack of calcium, chloride and vitamin B) though no significant evidence to support the claim.
It may be due to temporary circulatory changes in the legs.
· Calcium gluconate, milk, cheese Vitamin B, Gentle leg exercises at bed time or while in warm bath.