Social Science : Geography
LITHOSPHERE – II
On the given outline map of the world, Mark the following.
1. Any two deltas
2. A Karst region
3. Any two hot and cold deserts
1. Is wind the only gradational agent in the desert?
When the speed of wind is reduced by the presence of obstacles like bushes, forests, and rock structures, the sediments carried by wind get deposited on both the windward and leeward sides of these obstacles. So wind is the only graditional agent.
2. Underground water is more common in limestone areas than surface run off why?
Limestone absorbs the water quickly. It passes the water to underground. So underground water is more common in limestone areas than surface run off.
3. The river channels in the lower course are wider than the upper course.
• Erosion is the most dominant action of river in the upper course. The river channel performserosion with great force to widen and deepen its valley.
• The main work of the river on the lower course is deposition. Large deposits of sediments are found at the level. So the lower course made a broad level plains.
a. Chemical alternation of carbonate rocks on lime stone region.
b. Flat surfaces near cliffs.
c. Erosion + Transportation = Deposition
d. The bottom line of a snow field.