First read the questions given below, then listen to the poem, read aloud by the teacher or played on an audio player. Then answer the questions based on your listening of the poem.
1. The poet was tossing in the bed awake because ________.
a) he was worried
b) he was struggling to sleep
c) it was day time
d) he was tired
2. The ________ were ‘sparkling as pearls’.
3. The ________ gave the poet a motherly smile.
4. ________ made the poet’s eyelids droop.
b) rosy lips
5. ________ is the title of the poem.
b) Midnight Wonders
d) Midnight dreams
Is there anything as tranquil
As a brightly glowing jonquil
That stands in sweet serenity,
A part of nature’s tapestry?
A flower that never questions why,
The rivers flow and birds will fly,
Content to fill part of the plan,
To beautify the world of man.
If we would only realize
We, too, can help to glorify,
To find within each passing day
A happiness along the way.
A loving hug or cheerful smile
Can help to make a life worthwhile.
If all would lend a helping hand,
We soon would have a world so grand.
Alora M.Knight (slightly edited)