1. Under what circumstances, a strap footing is
When the distance between the two columns is so
great, so that trapezoidal footing is very narrow and so it is uneconomical. It
transfers the heavy load of one column to other column.
2. What is a mat foundation?
It is a combined footing that covers the entire area
beneath a structure and supports all the walls and columns.
3. Where mat foundation is used?
It is used when the area of isolated footing is more
than fifty percentage of whole area or the soil bearing capacity is very poor.
4. Define spread footing?
It is a type of shallow foundation used to transmit
the load of isolated column, or that of wall to sub soil. The base of footing
is enlarged and spread to provide individual support for load.
5. What are types of foundation?
shallow foundation , deep foundation
6. What are the footings comes under shallow
spread footing or pad footings , strap footings,
combined footings, raft or mat foundation
7. What are the footings comes under deep
pile, caisons(well foundation)
8. Define floating foundation?
It is defined as a foundation in which the weight of
the building is approximately equal to the full weight of the soil including
water excavated from the site of the building.
9. What is mean by proportioning of footing?
Footings are proportional such that the applied load
including the self weight of the footing including soil .the action are not
exceeding the safe bearing capacity of the soil.
10. What are the assumptions made in combined
- the footing is rigid and rests on a homogenous
soil to give rise to linear stress distribution on the bottom of the footing.
- the resultant of the soil pressure coincides with
the resultant of the loads, then it is assumed to be uniformly distributed.