How is morbid obesity (MO) defined?
Morbid obesity is defined in terms of body mass index (BMI). BMI is calculated by establishing a ratio between the patient’s weight and height as follows:
Body mass index (BMI) = weight in kg/height in m2
This patient’s BMI is calculated as:
BMI = 136 kg/(1.65 m)2 = 50
BMI values are classified as follows:
· BMI of 18.5–24.9 = normal
· BMI of 25.0–29.9 = overweight
· BMI of 30.0–34.9 = class I obesity
· BMI of 35.0–39.9 = class II obesity
· BMI of 40.0 or greater = class III obesity.
BMI values of 40 or greater are indications for bariatric surgery. Those with significant comorbidities become acceptable candidates for bariatric surgery at a BMI value of 35.