![if !IE]> <![endif]>
* Know about the family
* Understand the relationship of family members
* Know about the types of families
* Recognize differences between relations and society
* Understand that family gives feeling of security
DIALOGUE (Madhi and Kabir are friends. Both the friends meet in the market.)
Madhi : Hi! Kabir, It has been so long since we met. How are you?
Kabir :Yeah, I am so happy to see you, How are you?
Madhi :Yeah, I’m fine too. Do you know I went on a tour to Nilgiri jungle (Masinagudi) with my uncle.
Kabir :Really. I don’t know. Tell me more.
Madhi : It was a wonderful place to visit. We saw many birds and animals living in the jungle.
Kabir :Oh! I see.
Madhi : Yes! I can’t express my experience in words! It was wonder to see animals living as a family.
Kabir : Families! Do the animals live in families like us?
Madhi :Yes its true, If you have a chance please go and see.
Kabir : Sure, I will tell my daddy to take me there during this holiday.
Madhi :Mmm. good... Shall we play a word game now. I will ask you questions and you shoud answer.
Kabir :I am always ready for a challenge. Ask me any questions.
Madhi : Where do lions live?
Kabir :Very simple. Lions live in jungle.
Madhi :Correct, But Lions live together as a family in caves.
Kabir :Ok, Ask me the next question.
Madhi :Where do birds live?
Kabir :Birds live in the nest, built on trees or in high places.
Madhi : Good. What do we call a group of elephants?
Kabir : ‘Parade’. Am I right?
Madhi : Exactly, you are right.
Kabir :We learnt that animals live together.
Madhi : It was fun for me too. I am happy that I can share with you.
Kabir :Okay! Its time to move.
Madhi :Yes! Let us also join our families.
Dear friends, Let us know about our families.
Father, mother, children and other close relations live together in a family.
How many families live in your street?
Individuals together make a family and families together make a society.
People with diversity in language, culture and habits live all over the world in families.
Indian family, Mexican family, Chinese family, African family, Scottish family, Russian family, Japanese family, Arab family
Paste the pictures of your family in the family tree given below.
Whom do you live with?
People who are related through our mother are called Maternal Relations
People who are related through our father are called Paternal Relations
Let us write
List the names of your Maternal relations and Paternal relations of your family.
Maternal Grand Father
Maternal Grand Mother
Paternal Grand Father
Paternal Grand Mother
Types of families
1. Small Family
2. Large Family
3. Joint Family
What do you see in the pictures above?
1) In the first picture only mother, father and children are seen. This type of family is called a small family. Or nuclear family.
2) In the second picture along with father, mother and children we can see other family members too. This type of family is called a large family. or extended family.
3) The family in picture three is very big. Two or three generations live together. This type of family is called a Joint family.
Have you seen families having two or three generations living together in your area?
Answer: No, I have never seen such families having two or three generations living together in my area.
Special values of the family
* Family fulfill our basic needs like food, dress and shelter.
* Family is like a beginning school for the development of physical, mental and moral growth of a person.
* There are several values that bind the family members together.
Such values are
Let us write
List out the other values that bind the family members together.
Unity of the family
It is good to work together than to do it alone. This way work load will be reduced and relations will be strengthened. This will help with the Unity of the family.
LET US KNOW
As children it is good to do our work by ourselves. It is better to manage and keep our things in the right place. This not only makes us disciplined but also help us to save time as we have to search for things.
How do you manage your things? Discuss with your friend.
• I use my things when ever I need.
• I always use them carefully.
• I use minimum things for my needs.
Our – Relations
Apart from our family members distant relations too come to our house. All the members meet during family festivals. When they come to our house we should welcome them. We should talk with them and help them with their needs. This is the way to respect them. Hospitality towards guest is the best value among Tamilians. This strengthens our relationship.
How do you call your relations?
1. Mother’s mother: Grand mother
2. Father’s father: Grand father
3. Father’s sister: Aunt
4. Mother’s brother: Uncle
How should you behave when the relations come?
• I welcome my relatives with love.
• I give water to welcome home.
• I converse some time with them.
• 1 spend my time with them.
Let us ﬁnd
Who Does That?
Cooking, Washing, Earn for the family, Going to shop, Sweep the floor, Switch off the lights and fans when not in use
Apart from our relations, other people come to our house. Many outsiders like milkman, vegetable vendors, and cylinder supplier also come. We must behave properly with them also.
Many families live near our home. We call them neighbours. It is good to keep cordial relations with them. When needed, we must help each other. This value ensures our safety.
LET US KNOW
Some families rearing pet animals like their family members.
Is there any pet animal in your house?
Yes, I have a dog as my pet animal.
Before buying any object, have you ever thought of its necessity?
Yes, I think about the necessity of the object, before I buy it.
Budget of the family
Income and Expenditure is the important for any family. We must spend according to our income. Basic needs should be fulfilled first. We must act according to the budget system. Economic crisis occur when expenditure exceeds income.
Simplicity is the best policy to be economical in our life.
How many members in your family earn for livelihood?
Answer: My father and mother both of the earn for our livelihood.
Do you save money?
Answer: Yes, I save little money which get from my parents.
* Basic unit of the society is family.
* Basic needs like food, dress and shelter are fulfilled by the family.
* Inter dependence of family members help in becoming good citizens and develop harmony.
* Family gives us the values of discipline, morals and the habit of sharing.
* A family must run according to the budget systems to ensure economical security.
* Family helps us to feel safe and secure.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.