I. Choose the correct answer
1. Which of the following region has a city more than 6500 years old?
b. Indus Valley
Answer: a. Iraq
2. Which one of the following is a Tamil city?
Answer: d. Kancheepuram
3. Which city is not related to the Bay of Bengal?
Answer: d. Kancheepuram
4. Water management system of Tamils are known from
b. Tanks in Kancheepuram
c. Prakirama Pandyan Tank
d. River Cauvery
a. is correct
b. is correct
c. is correct
d. a and b are correct
Answer: a. Kallanai
5. Which is not the oldest city among the following ones?
Answer: d. Chennai
6. Which city is related to Keezhadi excavation?
Answer: a. Madurai
II. Tick the appropriate answer. Match the Statement with the Reason:
1. Statement: Goods were imported and exported from the city Poompuhar.
Reason: Bay of Bengal was suitable for trading with neighbouring countries.
a. Statement is correct, but reason is wrong.
b. Statement and its reason are correct.
c. Statement is wrong, but reason is correct.
d. Both are wrong.
Answer: b. Statement and its reason are correct.
2. a. Thirunavukkarasar said “kalviyil karaiillatha”. This statement refers to the city Kancheepuram.
b. Hieun Tsang said, “Kancheepuram is one among the seven-sacred places of India”.
c. Kalidasa said, “Kancheepuram is the best city among the cities”
a. only a is correct
b. only b is correct
c. only c is correct
d. All are correct
Answer: d. All are correct
3. Find out the correct statement
a. Naalangadi - Night shop
b. Allangdi - Day-time shop
c. Ancient Roman coin factory was found at Poompuhar.
d. Pearls were exported from Uvari near Korkai.
Answer: d. Pearls were exported from Uvari near Korkai.
4. Find out the wrong statement.
a. Megasthanese has mentioned Madurai in his account.
b. Hien Tsang came to the Tamil city of Kancheepuram.
c. Kovalan and Kannagi lived in Kancheepuram.
d. Iraq is mentioned in Pattinapalai.
Answer: c. Kovalan and Kannagi lived in Kancheepuram.
5. Find out the correct pair
a. Koodal Nagar - Poompuhar
b. Thoonga Nagaram - Harappa
c. City of Education - Madurai
d. City of Temples –Kancheepuram
Answer: a. Koodal Nagar - Poompuhar
6. Find out the wrong pair
a. Vadamalai - Gold
b. Western Ghats - Sandal
c. Southern Sea - Pearls
d. Eastern Sea – Ahil
Answer: d. Eastern Sea -Ahil
III. Fill in the blanks:
1. Kanchi Kailasanathar temple was built by King Raiasimha.
2. Kanchi is known as the city of temples.
3. Masathuvan means big trader.
IV. State True or False:
1. Cultural relationship with the outside world developed in Poompuhar because of its trade relationship with it. TRUE
2. Women also purchased from Allangadi of Madurai without fear. TRUE
3. Many rock cut temples were made during the Pallava period. TRUE
4. Bodhi Dharmar belonged to Kancheepuram. TRUE
V. Answer in one word:
1. What do you know about the term ‘export’?
The term export means trading our country product to
2. Mention the epic and the sangam poem you read in this lesson.
Silapathikaram, Pathinaipallai, Manimegalai
3. Which is the oldest city in Thondai Nadu?
Kanchi is the oldest city in Thondai Nadu
4. Point out any one difference between a village and a city.
Village is not polluted and cities were polluted
5. Which civilisation is associated with the city Lothal?
Indus valley civilization
6. Name the oldest civilization of the world
Indus valley civilization
VI. Answer the following:
1. Write a brief note on ancient cities of India.
Harappa and Mohenjodaro was the ancient cities of
2. Mention the ancient cities of Tamil Nadu.
Madurai, Kanchi, and Poompuhar
3. Discuss the sources available to know about Tamil cities.
The Tamil epics such as silapathikaram, pathinapallai
Cave temples, kallanai and water tanks
4. Write about the kings who ruled Madurai.
Cholas, Pandhyas and later Kalabras
5. Mention the other names of Madurai.
6. What is the difference between Naalangadi and Allangadi.
Madurai had Naalangadi and Allangadi.
Naalangadi is Day Market.
Allangadi is Evening Market.
7. Name the scholars who were born at Kancheepuram.
Scholars like Dharmabalar, Jothibalar, Sumathi and
Bodhi Dharmar were born in Kanchi.
8. Which is known as city of lakes? Why?
• Hundreds of lakes were created for storing water around the town of Kanchi.
• These lakes were well connected with canals.
• During the later period, Kanchi came to be known as the district of lakes.
1. Write a short note on Iraq.
Mesopotamian civilisation is the earliest civilisation
in the world. It is 6500 years old.
2. Write a paragraph about the city Poompuhar with special reference to trade.
Numerous merchants from foreign countries such as Greece and Rome landed at Poompuhar. Due to busy and continuous trade, many of them stayed on indefinitely in Poompuhar. There are evidences of foreigner settlements in the town. People speaking many languages inhabited Poompuhar in its glorious days. As loading and unloading of ships took some months, the foreign traders began to interact with the local people during that period. This enabled the natives to learn foreign languages for communication. Similarly, the foreigners also learnt Tamil to communicate with the natives. This contact facilitated not only exchange of goods but also languages and ideas resulting in cultural blending. The traders of Poompuhar were known for their honesty and integrity.
3. Write about the accounts given by scholars about Kanchi.
• Kanchi is the oldest town in Thondai Nadu.
• Scholars like Dharmabalar, Jothibalar, Sumathi and Bodhi Dharmar were bom in Kanchi.
4. Temple city. Give short notes.
• Kanchi is also known as the temple town.
• The famous temple of great architectural beauty, Kailasanathar temple, was built by later Pallava king Rajasimha at Kanchi.
• During the Pallava period, a large number of cave temples were built.
• The Buddhist monk Manimegalai spent the last part of her life at Kanchi speaks highly of that town.
5. Kancheepuram was famous for education. Prove this statement.
• University visited Kanchi ‘Kadigai’ to pursue his further studies.
• Poet Kalidasa says, “Kanchi is the best of the towns”.
• Tamil poet saint Thirunavukarasar praises Kanchi as “Kalviyil Karaiillatha Kanchi”.
• Hieun Tsang remarked that Kanchi can be counted as one among the seven sacred places like Budh Gaya and Sanchi.
VIII. Student Activity:
1. Make an album about Keezhadi excavations.
2. Poompuhar was famous for trading activities. Discuss.
3. Collect the pictures of Pallava temple architecture.
4. Prepare a booklet describing the famous lakes of Tamil Nadu.
5. Make a booklet about the famous cities of Tamil Nadu.
6. Go to library and find out the places of importance in your district.
IX. Answer Grid:
Poompuhar was located on which river bank? Ans: Cauvery
Which Greek historian gave accounts about the Pandya kingdom? Ans: Megasthanese
Thirunavukarasar mentioned Kanchi as ____ Ans: Kalviyil karaiillatha Kanchi
Which district is known as the district of lakes? Ans: Kanchi
Name the ancient city which had Tamil Sangam. Ans: Madurai
To which Tamil kingdom did the southern districts of Tamil Nadu belong to during the Sangam Age? Ans: Pandyas
What is the name of evening market during the Sangam Age? Ans: Allangadi
What is trade? Ans: The act of buying and selling goods and services is called trade.
Name a Sangam literary work. Ans: Pattinappaalai
Name the Chinese traveller who stayed and studied in Nalanda University. Ans: Hieun Tsang
Name the temple built by Pallava king Rajasimha at Kanchi. Ans: Kailasanathar, Temple.
Name a port located on the shore of Bay of Bengal. Ans: Chennai
X. Life Skill
1. Make a handout that shows the importance of the place where you live.
XI. Map Work
Mark the following places in a South India map.
e. Arabian Sea
f. Bay of Bengal
g. Indian Ocean