Advantages of Prestressed Concrete
· In case of fully prestressed member, which are free from tensile stresses under working loads.
· The cross section is more effectively utilized when compared with a reinforced concrete section which is cracked under working loads.
· Within certain limits, a permanent will be counteracted by increasing the eccentricity of the prestressing force in a prestressed structural elements, thus effecting saving in the use of materials.
· Prestressed concrete members possess improved resistance to shearing forces, due to the effect of compressive prestress, which reduces the principal tensile stress.
· The use of high strength concrete and steel in prestressed members results in lighter and slender members than is possible with reinforced concrete.
· It is free from cracks, contributes to the improved durability of the structure under aggressive environmental conditions.
· The economy of prestressed concrete is well established for long span structures.
· A prestressed concrete flexural member is stiffer under working loads than a reinforced concrete member of the same depth.