![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Advantage of prestressed concrete bridge deck
• High-strength concrete and high-tensile steel, besides being economical, make for slender sections, which are aesthetically superior.
· Prestressed concrete bridges can be designed as class I type structures without any tensile stresses under service loads, thus resulting in a crack-free structure.
· In comparison with steel bridges, prestressed concrete bridges require very littlemaintenance.
· Prestressed concrete is ideally suited for composite bridge construction in which precast prestressed girders support the cast in situ slab deck. This type of con• struction is very popular since it involves minimum disruption of traffic.
· Post-tensioned prestressed concrete finds extensive applications in long-span continuous girder bridges of variable cross-section. Not only does it make for sleek. structures, but it also effects considerable saving in the overall cost of construction.
· In recent years, partially prestressed concrete (type-3 structure) bas been pre•
ferred for bridge construction, because it offers considerable economy in the use of costly high-tensile steel in the girder.
Copyright Â© 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.