The Woman on Platform 8
A. Choose the best answer.
1. Satish's mother handed to her son ____________.
a. bag of pencil
b. bag of vegetables
c. big box of chocolates
d. cricket ball
[Answer: c) big box
2. The train would come at ____________.
a. one o’ clock
b. twelve o’ clock
c. two o’ clock
d. eleven o’ clock
[Answer: b) twelve O’
3. The strange lady gave ______ to Arun.
a. coffee and vadai
b. tea and bajji
c. tea and samosas
d. black tea and cake
[Answer: c) tea and
4. Arun was sitting on platform _________ .
a. no. 7
b. no. 8
c. no. 4
d. no. 3
[Answer: b) no. 8]
5. Satish and Arun were ________ years old boys.
[Answer: b) no. 13]
B. Match the following.
1. woman in white - mother of Satish
2. train - boy of same age
3. bowler - dressed simply
4. Satish - waves of stream
5. spectacles - Arun
[1. (c) 2. (d) 3. (e) 4. (b) 5. (a)]
1. woman in white - (c) dressed simply
2. train - (d) waves of stream
3. bowler - (e) Arun
4. Satish - (b) boy of same age
5. spectacles - (a) mother of Satish
C. Identify the character.
1. I am glad to know that. [Answer: Satish’s mother]
2. Are you all alone, my son? [Answer: Strange lady]
3. Yes, I am going to school. [Answer: Arun ]
4. He is one of my friends. [Answer: Satish ]
5. Goodbye mother. [Answer: .Satish ]
D. Answer the following questions.
1. Where was Arun sitting?
Answer: Arun was sitting on
platform no. 8 at Ambala station.
2. What was the expected arrival time of the train?
Answer: The expected time of
the train’s arrival was at twelve o’clock midnight.
3. What were the sight Arun had seen on the platform?
Answer: Arun saw a tide of
people, the cries of various vendors and the newspaper boy.
4. What did the vendors sell?
Answer: The vendor sold
curds, lemons, sweet meat and newspapers.
5. How did the women appear?
Answer: The woman had a pale
face and dark kind eyes. She wore no jewels and was dressed very simply in a
6. Where was Arun travelling to?
Answer: Arun was travelling
to his boarding school.
7. What did the woman buy for him?
Answer: The woman bought
samosas and jalebies. She also ordered tea for Arun.
8. What was the advise of Sathish’s mother?
Answer: Sathish’s mother
advised Arun not to talk to strangers and to be very careful of them.
9. What were the Arun’s last words?
Answer: Arun’s last words
were “Goodbye - mother”.
10. What was the reaction of the woman at the end?
Answer: When Satish’s mother
was talking, she did not listen to her. But she was looking at Arun, as the