A Prayer to the Teacher
I. Which of these statements do you find in the speech?
1. Inclusion is essential for us to do well in life. True
2. We should neglect others. Not found
3. Communicate politely with the less privileged. True
4. Teachers teach us to communicate well. True
5. Effective Communication is inessential to excel in life. Not found
II. Read the statements. Tick ✓ the correct words. You can tick more than one.
1. We should develop the ability to learn from______.
__ self ✓ others ✓ books
2. Teachers help me to learn ____________ things .
✓ new __ bad ✓ difficult
3. Teach me to appreciate __________.
✓ nature __ destruction ✓ small creatures
4. We should learn to _________questions.
✓ ask ✓ answer discard
III. Answer the following questions in a sentence or two.
1. What is inclusion? Why is it important?
Inclusion is the feeling to treat everything around us
as our own. It helps us to feel for others and protect the surroundings as our
own. Once we learn inclusion we will not pollute the road or ignore the needs
of children around us.
2. What is good or effective communication ?
Good communication has the simplicity of a child. It
helps us to talk to people who cannot speak or hear and those who are less
gifted and less privileged. Good communication helps us to talk to our
predecessors and successors and animate and inanimate things.
3. What should we learn from our teachers?
We should learn how to learn to learn. We should learn
newer and more difficult things.
4. What kind of learning brings joy to you ?
We should learn newer ways to learn. This kind of
learning process gives us joy.
5. In what ways are we doing injustice to nature ?
We cut down trees. We kill small insects with the use
of fertilizers and pesticides. Our consumerism upsets the balance in nature and
6. What do you need to learn to live a good life in this world?
We should learn to go beyond our text books and
syllabus. We should learn inclusion which is important for us to do well in
life. Breaking the barriers of boundary we should include everything around us
and treat them as our own.
7. How does the ability to question help us?
The ability to ask questions helps us to get answers.
Once we get the answers we can explore how to establish a better order of
things. We learn to be accountable and we realize we can be questioned too. In
that exchange, truth will emerge.
8. What do you think are the two most important lessons that the speaker mentions?
We should learn the power of silence but we should
also know how to raise our voice to protect truth. We should give up religious
bigotry and intolerance and develop a world view of things.
IV. Answer the following questions in detail.
1. What are the skills / values a teacher should teach their students to live in this competitive world?
A teacher should teach us to speak and write clearly.
This will help us to convey what we feel. We should learn to communicate with
the simplicity of a child. We should be able to communicate with those who
cannot speak or hear and those who are less gifted and less privileged. We
should learn to communicate with our predecessors and successors and things
animate and inanimate. We should learn to fend for ourselves. As learning is a
continuous process we should go on learning newer and more difficult things.
Learning new ways to learn makes learning a joy for us.
2. What kind of a life do you want to lead in this world?
Poverty, disease and hunger are common to all nations.
We should remember this fact and give up religious bigotry and racial
indiscrimination. We should break free from boundaries and learn to love our
fellow human beings. We should learn to appreciate diversity and dialogue.
Words such as 'foreign' and 'foreigner' should be removed from our vocabulary.
We should not remain a foreigner and we should not treat anyone as a foreigner.
We should develop a world view of things and treat our fellow human beings with
love and affection.