A. Choose the correct answer
1. Mother was excited because it was her first visit to the moon.
a. her son would be home in the spring
b. her son was coming back to earth
c. it was her first visit to the moon
d. her son was going to another galaxy
2. On weekdays, as Mother went about the chores her singing was muted and a little sad.
a. she constantly thought of her son
b. she was always tired
c. her singing would be soft and almost inaudible
d. her singing was muted and a little sad
3. Selenopolis occupies more than a hundred square kilometres on the moon.
4. The Community of Nations Square is where people of different nationalities come after work.
a. live on the moon
b. work on the moon
c. walk on the moon
d. of different nationalities come after work
5. They are planning an expedition to a neighbouring galaxy.
6. The mother was not able to understand why people wanted to leave the moon because it was better to remain as a part of solar-system.
a. it was better to remain as a part of solar-system
b. it was better to remain on the earth
c. it was not possible to come back
d. it was a place to enjoy life
B. Identify the character or speaker of the following lines.
1. It’s so easy to walk here, son! Answer - Character: Mother
2. They’re planning an expedition to a neighbouring galaxy. Answer - Character: Son
3. Why should people go off into the unknown? Answer - Character: Mother
4. I don’t know when we’ll see each other again. Answer - Character: Son
5. Operator on duty, …... report to office. Answer - Character: Operator
C. Answer the following question in about 100 – 120 words.
1. Write a paragraph listing all the sentimental and the scientific reasons given by the mother against the expedition to neighbouring galaxy.
Title : Mother's Voice
Author : Vasil Berezhnoy
Characters : Astronaut and his mother
Theme : "Distant scene enchants the eyes".
The astronauts' mother admired the moonscape. She wondered that the moon was a beautiful place. But she thought of her orchards to bloom and yield fruits. She was excited to see the enormous lily - shaped tent over a crater. Though it might be an exotic experience to swim on the moon she prefer the river Dnieper on the Earth. She was against the expedition to a neighbouring galaxy. She asked why people should go off into unknown place. She did not want them to invite trouble. The astronauts were interested on more expeditions. Mother wanted the people to settle properly on the moon first and then on the planets in the solar system before going further. According to her life on Earth was a miracle. She wanted him to return to the Earth atleast in Autumn. But he had made all arrangements to go to another planet. The astronaut could not help it even though he would not hear his mother's voice.
'There's something cool about being involved in new missions to other planets'.