THEORIES OF FASHION
Fashion theories indicates the process of fashion ideas. The theories explain the fashion trend. It also tells about how fashion moves from one stage to other stage. There are three theories of fashion (Figure 15.2).
· Trickle down theory
· Horizontal-flow theory
· Trickle up theory.
· This is the oldest theory of fashion
· It indicates the true fashion
· It starts from top social level people to low social level people.
· Royal families introduced the fashion in olden days.
· Gradually upper class people copy them and then by the lower class of people.
· Fashion pass from fashion leaders to the lower class people also.
· Example- Jeans, Asymmetrical tops.
· This is also called as Trickle Across Theory.
· In 20th century fashion became similar to all levels of people at the same time.
· Fashion is not created by any section of people.
· Celebrities give an identity to fashion.
· Various designers introduce new fash-ions in affordable prices.
· High priced garment styles are copied and produced in mass.
· Examples - jogging suits, bell bottom and kurta style tops.
· This theory is a newer theory.
· It is purely an idea of youngsters.
· Fashions pass from youth to the aged people.
· This is also called street fashion.
· Youth create new mix and match styles.
· Fashion gradually moves from lower class people to fashion leaders.
· Example- Denim, glitter tops, T shirts, metal shine garments.
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.