COLLEGIALITY AND LOYALTY:
Collegiality is a kind of connectedness grounded in respect for professional expertise and in a commitment to the goals and values of the profession and as such, collegiality includes a disposition to support and co-operate with one‘s colleagues‟.- Craig Ihara. The central elements of collegiality are respect, commitment, connectedness and cooperation.
Respect: Acknowledge the worth of other engineers engaged in producing socially useful and safe products.
Commitment: Share a devotion to the moral ideals inherent in the practice of engineering. Connectedness: Aware of being part of a co-operative undertaking created by shared commitments and expertise. Collegiality, like most virtues, can be misused and distorted. It should not be reduced to „group interest‟ but should be a shared devotion for public good. It is not defaming colleagues, but it does not close the eyes to unethical practices of the co-professionals, either.
Classifications of Loyalty
· Fulfill one‟s contractual duties to an employer.
· Duties are particular tasks for which one is paid
· Co-operating with colleagues
· Following legitimate authority within the organization.
· It has to do with attitudes, emotions and a sense of personal identity.
· Seeks to meet one‟s moral duties with personal attachment and affirmation.
· It is against detesting their employers and companies, and do work reluctantly and horribly (this is construed as disloyalty)
· Avoid conflicts of interest,
· Inform employers of any possible conflicts of interest,
· Protect confidential information,
· Be honest in making estimates,
· Admit one‟s errors, etc.
Loyalty - Obligation of Engineers
· Engineers are hired to do their duties.
· Hence obligated to employers within proper limits
· Obligatory on two conditions;
1. When some important goals are met by and through a group in which the engineers participate
2. When employees are treated fairly, receiving the share of benefits and burdens.
But clearly, identification-loyalty is a virtue and not strictly an obligation.
Copyright © 2018-2020 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.